Building a website is a very important step in any business nowadays, but people often get caught up in choosing between getting a WordPress website or a custom built one. Well, if you are also confused about the same thing, then take a look at both the types of website development along with their pros and cons, and then you can easily conclude what it is that you are looking for.
The reason why WordPress is the most popular content management system is that anyone without any technical knowledge can use it and create their website in just minutes. WordPress is free and was actually built for blogging mainly. Eventually, WordPress has also become a place to create professional websites. Presently, 15% of the websites are created on WordPress. Whether or not WordPress is the right choice for you, can only be concluded by taking a look at its pros and cons.
- WordPress requires much less time to create a website than a custom-built one because the content management system is already developed into WordPress. In this way, you will have more time to concentrate on the design and content instead of wasting your time on coding.
- The best thing about WordPress is that it’s completely free and so you don’t have to spend a fortune in building a website. Though if you do want some features to be professional, then WordPress also has paid features, but that doesn’t mean that the free version is any less as it has everything you would require.
- WordPress has its own collection of themes and templates. This will surely make your work much easier because instead of struggling to create one, you can just pick one from the huge collection. If you are still not satisfied with a built-in theme then you even customise it to suit your requirements.
- WordPress offers a completely secure platform for building your website because it has a lot of developers who always look out for any problem and make sure to remove it instantly. WordPress is always up to date and notifies you to install their latest updates to keep your website safe and secure.
- WordPress has its own SEO plugins and you can easily manage your search engine ranking. These plugins can also tell you how well you are optimised for SEO. You can also add basic SEO additions to your sites like Meta Description, Meta Titles and H1 tags.
- Though you may select any theme from its huge collection, it is very difficult to customise the themes and you might need a professional developer who is expert in WordPress. Also, since the themes are just predefined templates, therefore, many others will have the same website design as yours and it won’t make you stand out among other businesses out there.
- Even if WordPress is always secure and updated, it is not completely safe from hackers. WordPress has to be regularly maintained as they keep on updating very often to keep the hackers at bay. The installations offered by WordPress may not be easy to handle and you will require an expert in WordPress to handle them for you.
Custom built website
Websites are custom built when the user wants certain features that WordPress cannot offer. Custom built websites are usually developed for implementing complex site features. If you want to build a custom built website then you must be well versed with coding or need to hire a professional. Take a look at the pros and cons of custom built websites to decide if you want to go with it or not.
- Custom built websites are more SEO friendly than WordPress and will rank better than WordPress websites on the search engines. Ranking well on the search engines is very important as it will generate leads and maximize conversions for your business.
- The design of a custom built website will always be an unique one as it does not use any templates. This will help your business stand out from others and define a branding of its own.
- Since a custom built website is developed by a professional, the issues are always taken care of and resolved by the developer.
- You can always make changes in a custom built website as you only have to contact the developer and describe to him the changes you want to make.
- Since custom made websites are built from scratch and require professional expertise, they are very expensive.
- Developing a custom built website is very time consuming. Even the changes made on the website will take time as you will have to depend upon the availability of the developer.
- Post development, maintenance cost of custom built websites is also higher compared to that of a wordpress site.
Hope the above pointers helped you understand which method you would like to choose for your own website. If you are still having some questions, then feel free to contact our team now! We have dedicated experts to help you understand the benefits.